View Single Post
Old 06-14-2010, 10:39 PM   #58
XCR-700

Unhappy Why choose Winnipesaukee???

RE: Irritating loud boat

Maybe I’m missing something here, but I know of no way to make a boat more loud than it is, by that I mean that there is no means to amplify the sound coming out of an open exhaust. Well with the possible exception of open headers or zoomies which you are probably not likely to see these days on Winnipesaukee.

So then if we can agree on that fact, and I’m pretty sure that’s the case, then what am I missing with this post?

Until the advent I/O drives, and really not until they became more popular than other drive systems, inboard engines and jet drives were common place in marine propulsion. And the vast majority of those had un-muffled above the waterline open exhaust, and that was the case for decades!

I guess you might add a few decibels for very high HP or supercharged engines, but I hardly think it would significantly add (as in double or triple) to the volume from a marine exhaust.

So then we have a fundamental issue of expectations of what a boat should sound like.

Given that Winnipesaukee has been THE destination for recreation (i.e. family gatherings, power boating, and other noise filled activities) for a hundred years, then it seems to me that anyone who has been around boats AND Winnipesaukee for any significant period of time will have an expectation of boats with open exhaust and their drone that says this is how we have fun!

If your expectation is that you want a quiet, secluded, natural setting Winnipesaukee has not been that since they made the first gallons on gasoline and power boats and the residents on Winnipesaukee so much embraced the concept of power boating that every town built town docks and sold gas!

It is the glorious history of Winnipesaukee that some of us remember, enjoy, and look forward to!

I for one live to hear the sound of a marine engine with an open and above the waterline exhaust filling the air, it enhances my visit and time there, and that’s day/night/anytime/all the time. I can just sit on the shore and hear the sound of a power boat and feel both excited and soothed by its drone. Its why I go to Winnipesaukee not some other lake.

So I guess it begs the question if you don’t like open marine exhaust, and power boats, why choose Winnipesaukee? There are plenty of other lakes in NE where they don’t have the history of being a power boaters lake and offer that solitude some seek.

So I will say again, what am I missing,,,

And I am not looking to antagonize, irritate, or offend, I would honesty like to understand the disconnect here, because it really does not make any sense to me.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post: