View Single Post
Old 03-03-2009, 02:30 PM   #9
Redwing
Deceased Member

Location: New Haven, Connecticut and summer resident of Moultonborough, NH since 1952
Red face Recycling at its best

Marvelous thread, and I hope there will be more postings!

Although we have only been at the lake since 1952, the main section of our cottage dates to the 1870s.

Shortly after my parents purchased our lake property, our 1870s garage in Connecticut was to be destroyed in order to make way for an addition to our home. Not ones to waste anything, my parents (both “children” of the depression) hired a carpenter who took the garage down, piece- by- labeled piece, which he then transported to our newly purchased lake property in Moultonborough. The entire cost for such was a whopping $66.00 (including break-down and delivery)! The same carpenter then proceeded to re-assemble the labeled garage pieces at our lake property, and voila – the 1870s “garage” became our new “cottage”, with a large picture window replacing the area that had previously been a garage door.

We have since added-on rooms to our cottage over the years, but the main cottage (garage) remains intact and is as solid as a rock.
Redwing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redwing For This Useful Post: