View Single Post
Old 09-20-2020, 11:03 AM   #13
Twags

I am confused by your post. “Try again with a twist?” “Scrambled eggs?”

NHEC is proposing initially to string fiber where there are no other options—places like Colebrook and Sandwich. Even those few folks who do have 25/3 via DSL in those areas want other options because the copper technology is so unreliable. I’ve had DSL for 7 years, and it never delivers the speeds it promises. I live 12,000 feet from the fiber drop, and the best I can get is 10/1 on a good day, and there aren’t many of those with DSL. Most people in Sandwich can only get about 3 down, if that. Disconnections and slowed speeds are a daily occurrence with DSL.

Conexon https://www.conexon.us/ is a likely partner for NHEC as it is currently working with many rural electric coops. It is an established company, which has proven the viability of the business model and the technology. The Cares Act money does have to be spent by 12/31, as you point out, but there are much larger grants becoming available this fall through the Rural Development Opportunity Fund, which many rural coops will be applying for as a part of a Conexon consortium. I know this because I’ve talked to their CEO as a part of my research. Our expectation is that NHEC would join that consortium, but NHEC can only join if members vote YES to the bylaw change.

What is the basis of your confidence in Hub66 as a company and in their technology? What gives you the impression that “they have a plan?” In fact, their “summer plan” was to lay lots of new fiber, but then they discovered how time-consuming and expensive that “plan” was. Being small, they simply couldn’t take a project of that scale on, so they pivoted to the fiber+wireless option.

What makes you think this technology is a solution for rural areas? Unlike cell towers, their internet towers require line of sight for service. Do you really think communities like Sandwich will want dozens of towers built on every hilltop? That’s what would be required to serve the entire town with the Hub66 technology. Like Netafy, which is another new provider offering similar technology, Hub66 has a niche product. Those few who can get service from either company are very fortunate—at least until the first ice storm puts their towers and/or the antennas mounted on homes out of commission. Their infrastructure is very vulnerable. And it will be many years, if ever, before those companies have crews that can respond quickly to outages, as NHEC does.

So please support those towns that have no options by voting YES to the NHEC bylaw changes. We are business and tech savvy and have done our homework, as has the NHEC leadership. Again, I invite you to continue the conversation via PM and a phone call.
Twags is offline   Reply With Quote