View Single Post
Old 04-18-2017, 01:49 PM   #23
Descant

Thanked 1,511 Times in 983 Posts
Default Grandfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I was told by Laconia Public Works, that the state due to shoreland laws makes it prohibitive to make changes to the docks. If they want to make changes the new layout will significantly reduce the number of boats that can dock in order to fit the present guidelines. One reason why many 'grandfathered' their docks.
I've had many dealings with DES over the years and I think they get blamed for somebody's inaction or delay when no blame is due. Dock permits themselves are pretty cheap. It does take a knowledgeable person to do design, and then get through the local Conservation Commission. That's where the expense is for you and me. Shouldn't be a big cost for the City Council to talk to their own CC.

"Grandfathering" is not an active step. It automatically occurs because you are already there when the law changes.
DES would likely have no problem removing a few docks, creating more more "usable" space.

I don't know the exact measurements at the Weirs, but I think the actual space is available, unless two cruisers, for example, dock side by side.
One easy solution (seems easy to me) is to have a dockmaster who will direct small boats (<8.5' beam) to move forward and not block them with large beam boats. If Glendale/Gilford can put a full time officer on duty, seven days a week, surely Laconia can do it on weekends. Maybe take a few thousand out of the $2MM and run a pilot program for two seasons?

For some reason, people think they have to drive their boat in and out of narrow spaces instead of walking it. A dock master could direct people to walk boats in and out, or assign sequence numbers if boats are waiting. Just need a sign telling people which VHF channel to coordinate on.

Best idea? Laconia could outsource Weirs management to the Forum. There's no shortage of free advice here.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post: