View Single Post
Old 02-20-2006, 08:44 PM   #5
Skipper of the Sea Que
Deceased Member

Arrow Will you just feel safer or really be safer with a speed limit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD
We've been hearing how unsafe Winnipesaukee (Winni) is for canoes, kayaks ( all types), paddle boats and swimmers. Is this true and will a speed limit help? {snip}
Saying or inferring that a 45 mph speed limit will make you safe in a small human powered craft in the middle of Lake Winnipesaukee is just not right.
I agree with you. You will not be safer with a 45 m.p.h. speed limit.

Let’s look at a REAL concern of human powered boaters. They (we) want to see and be seen. A vital part of boating safely.

NOWHERE is there any check or requirement that boaters demonstrate how well they can see or even if they can see! Is it reasonable to expect that a 45/25 speed limit will compensate for POOR VISION? You can earn a Boater Education Safety Certificate even if visually challenged or severely impaired (blind). How safe is that? Those who believe that the answer to better visibility is HB162 are not addressing their MAIN CONCERN. Vision. I would enforce the rules we already have before we look to make new rules.

The Boater Education program was designed to address many of the problems on the lakes. The program is not done and is still in the phase-in process. Why not wait to see how well the Boater Education requirement works? Maybe tweak it a bit and include a vision check or “endorsement” every 5 years. I'd rather be boating on the Lake with those who can see well (and go fast) rather than those who may be visually impaired but boat at 45 mph or below.

The rules that are already in place give canoes, swimmers, kayaks, rafts and such, a circle of protection 300 feet in diameter centered on you which require watercraft to be at headway speed, maximum 6 mph. If your kayak is 300 feet off shore then your area of “headway speed” protection should extend out to 450 feet from shore. Since we don’t carry tape measures I'll concede that you might find boaters estimating 150’ on the short side and they may cut between your kayak and shore - an infraction of the rules at any speed above headway. Even so, it is still a nice buffer IF the current 150’ safe passage rules are obeyed and enforced.

disclaimer: My boat can't go 45 mph unless it's on a trailer towed behind some suitable vehicle.

Amateur HAM Radio What is it? You'll be surprised. When all else fails Ham Radio still works.
Shriners Hospitals providing specialized care for children regardless of ability to pay. Find out more or refer a patient.
Sponsored Links