Thread: Trend
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2019, 04:50 AM   #40
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Many years ago (40?) the legislature made it illegal to ride on the bow or sit on the gunwales. For some reason, pontoon captains seem to think this doesn't apply to them or their passengers. When it occurs, in most instances, I think MP gives a warning. I'm not usually for more rules, but somehow, we're not getting the word out to 'tooners, especially those with little previous experience in other types of boats. In only a few weeks we have this one and the teen-ager who fell off the bow of a 'toon near LSP.
Would a $500-$1000 fine for the captain who allows this open some eyes? Fine, no warning! I am reluctant to do the heavy hand of the law on this, but two major accidents this summer (are there others?) mean we are not taking the right approach.
I would be willing to bet that these two "Captains" that had people fall off their bows, will not allow anyone to sit there in the future, if they're still boating at all. Unfortunately, sometimes, it takes a tragedy to "reach" people. Having to live with the guilt of being responsible for these injuries is punishment enough for these "Captains" I would think. If other's continue to take those risks, let them... We are FREE to be stupid. I don't understand the mindset of someone that thinks it's their "duty" to keep everyone safe. Don't misunderstand, I don't wish harm on anyone, I just don't worry, or concern myself with what "other" people are doing to endanger themselves. Not my problem... I tend to mind my own business, and expect other's to do the same.

Last edited by Cal Coon; 09-04-2019 at 05:50 PM.
Cal Coon is online now   Reply With Quote