View Single Post
Old 09-20-2019, 07:34 AM   #54
ishoot308

Thanked 4,936 Times in 1,912 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
I also have a 2 car garage with a room above that I finished off and it has no heat yet. I've been looking at a mini split to heat this room and the garage, which I just finished insulating this past summer. It has no water to it so I'm not worried about freeze ups but I would like to use it in the winter when we have an overflow of guests. I think it's the ideal space for a mini split as I don't need a back heat source because it's not used all the time. I'm wondering how long it would take to heat up this space from a dead cold if I only wanted to turn it on when needed. I keep my house at 50 and on the coldest days I have to turn it up on a Friday morning, with the Wifi t-stat, for it to get up to 68 when I get there at night. I think my heating system was undersized when it was installed but I have a wood stove to take up the slack.
Who did your installation?
Big;

I hired a contractor to build and finish the garage and living space above so it was his subcontractor, "Laconia Refrigeration" who is currently doing the install on the mini split.

I personally would contact Steve Gorsk at Home Energy in Belmont if I was doing it on my own. Home Energy has three or four crews and that is all they do all day, every single day is install Mitsubishi Mini Splits. They handle all the rebates the state has to offer for you, they do all their own electrical and they are total professionals in every way and work very quickly! They also service what they sell at a very fair price.

As far as how quick it would heat up from a dead cold... that is tough to say as its not so much the air in the room which will heat up quick, its all the furniture and bedding, closets, walls, etc, etc, that will take time to fully come up to temperature but that would be the same no matter what heat system you are using.

I will say this...at my camp on Welch which is mostly insulated, I have both baseboard electric and non hyper heat mini splits, (3 interior units for two floors and one outside condenser). At 30 degrees, it does not take long for the mini splits to heat the entire house up from scratch maybe 3-4 hours max...The baseboards would take three to four times that amount of time...

On my garage living space which I am guessing is about 750 sq ft,(footprint of garage is 26' x 38') and mostly open concept except for the bathroom, they are installing one indoor unit and one outside condenser at 20,000 BTU. I did install a very small electric wall heater in bathroom to ensure no cold spots occur in there since its closed off.

Hope this helps and sorry for the length of this post!

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 09-20-2019 at 08:38 AM.
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post: