View Single Post
Old 10-18-2010, 09:01 AM   #85
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
Perhaps Mr. Mullen has discussed instruction for your kids.

Excellence in sailing is complicated, and racing among sailboats even more so. The 15-year-old is unlikely to take up this study and a Laser is also not the boat to begin this study. IMHO.

Study of both racing and sailing needs to be nourished from an earlier age—and even 12 is borderline-late. While I understand the need for "befriending", one should use the "bully-pulpit" that is Parenting, and actually encourage sailing instruction.

In our culture, the spirit of competition remains a healthy one, and one cannot learn it too young.

JMHO.
Agreed on the competition aspect of life and its importance in our culture. They are both heavily involved in Moultonborough Academy sports including baseball, volleyball, alpine and nordic skiing so I am not too concerned about that. I will note that my 15 yo son has taken up the sport of girl chasin' so boating is on the back burner!

We have led both kids to the proverbial "sailing water" but neither have embraced it. We will see, but I agree, the older they get the less likely they are to pick it up.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote