View Single Post
Old 10-06-2010, 03:12 PM   #62
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI Swamp Yankee View Post
Does that mean it will be owned by the public or the state?

I would also presume the facility would pay rent and a percentage of income which is normal in this type of operation.

You mean the publicly owned building?
OK, here is my read on the situation.

It will be public, as in a similar state to a public golf course. You do not have to be a member to have access. You still have to pay a fee for the experience.

That fee apparently goes to the operation not the state.

This seems like it will work in the exact same fashion as any form of guiding service that operates on state land within the state. A private for profit company makes money utilizing state resources, they get that right by purchasing lease rights to access the land for profit purposes and have to do so every few years or so.

My cousin's father-in-law has a camp on Umbagog, the land is state owned, he owns the camp (can make it into what ever he wants, to a point) and has a 99 year lease to keep it on the states land. The restrictions for what he can do as far as the building size and septic are very tight. For example, he cannot build a fully modern house on the land.

Basically the state will control the land and the sailing school will control the building with a tight eye from the state. The building will in all intense purposes be owned by the state.

I believe you are correct in that the state will not see any of these fees for the yearly activities, but will get some back in the lease fees.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote