Thread: Timing Belt
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 12:54 PM   #35
Mirror Lake's BB

Default Yes, you are correct...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Hmm, Toyota never used a 4 cylinder engine with a belt in the trucks from that time frame. They had timing chains in them and the chain tensioners were prone to get as I liked to put it lazy, causing slack in the chain, the chain guides to break with the chain slapping against them (they were just made of plastic) eventually they would fall into the oil pan. With no guides the chain would rub against the water jacket in the timing cover, and if left long enough breech the cooling system and make a real mess of the engine.

Much of that was caused at engine start up as oil pressure needed to build to get the tensioner to do it's job. This rarely happened when the factory OEM oil filters were used, but the aftermarket ones didn't have the bleed back valves in them allowing all the oil to drain out of them and back into the pan and thus take more time to pump enough oil into the system to activate the tensioner. When you ordered a new chain kit, it came with a new tensioner, guides, chain and sprockets.

Good pickup Maxum! It has been some time since I've owned this vehicle (but still have the genuine Toyota service manual). It actually was an 88 with a 22R-E engine and it is/was an interference engine. And you are correct, it was a timing chain. It broke days before our trek up to the Lakes Region. At the time I didn't know whether it was an interference type and back then you, well at least I, weren't aware of internet search engines. Long story short, mechanic pulled the head and no damage. But in doing so, the head was warped and had to have it sent out to be milled. Then, it needed a new distributor. All about $1500 worth of work. I loved that 4x4 pickup truck.

Last edited by Mirror Lake's BB; 10-09-2012 at 12:55 PM. Reason: added good pickup maxum
Mirror Lake's BB is offline   Reply With Quote