Thread: Timing Belt
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 05:14 PM   #18
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror Lake's BB View Post
Yes, "interference" is the proper term. And the engine won't "blow up" but will sustain internal damage.

The timing belt went on me once on a '90's-ish Toyota 4 cyl pickup because of the belt tensioner failure. My mechanic said that he always replaces the tensioner with the belt; good insurance. I don't know if this still applies but surely doesn't hurt to ask.

Another 2 cents from my pocket.
Hmm, Toyota never used a 4 cylinder engine with a belt in the trucks from that time frame. They had timing chains in them and the chain tensioners were prone to get as I liked to put it lazy, causing slack in the chain, the chain guides to break with the chain slapping against them (they were just made of plastic) eventually they would fall into the oil pan. With no guides the chain would rub against the water jacket in the timing cover, and if left long enough breech the cooling system and make a real mess of the engine.

Much of that was caused at engine start up as oil pressure needed to build to get the tensioner to do it's job. This rarely happened when the factory OEM oil filters were used, but the aftermarket ones didn't have the bleed back valves in them allowing all the oil to drain out of them and back into the pan and thus take more time to pump enough oil into the system to activate the tensioner. When you ordered a new chain kit, it came with a new tensioner, guides, chain and sprockets.

MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote