Thread: Timing Belt
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 08:41 AM   #8
8gv

Default 2000 crv

I recently changed my timing belt, accessory belts and water pump. It's a 2.0L, interference engine. I believe the book says do it after 10 years or 100,000 miles. I had both.

The procedure required a special tool to hold the crankshaft pulley while extreeme force is used to break free the crankshaft bolt. I borrowed my friends 150# torque wrench which I augmented with a 2' pipe. I augmented the special pulley tool with a 4' pipe.

Following the manual (found online) instructions was tedious but doable. The only thing I couldn't figure out was where the block coolant drain plug was. As such, I got a nice antifreeze bath when I removed the water pump. After many (not going to embarass myself here) hours of auto intimacy, the car ran fine with no issues. The belts and pump I removed showed non signs of wear or imminent failure.

I have decent mx skills and time limited only by my eventual demise so this was a project I felt comfortable doing. YMMV!

NOTE:
If your HONDA has the same 2.0L engine as mine I have VERY IMPORTANT information on the need for valve adjustments more frequent than the manual requires! Let me know if you're interested in that.

Last edited by 8gv; 10-04-2012 at 12:48 AM.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote