View Single Post
Old 03-28-2008, 07:32 PM   #12
CanisLupusArctos

Default Take heart...

To all who have seen enough snow, I would be amazed if this April was as snowy as last April. The reason for our record snowfall this winter has been a lot of small-to-medium storms that happened while the weather was cold enough for snow, but our overall temps have been warmer this winter than last. That is the reason the snow had so much liquid content in it, allowing it to collapse the roofs (seriously... blame the warm air!) Had this winter been as cold as last, our storms this winter would've been mostly powder. We would've had more of it (fluff factor) but it would've had a hard time staying on the roofs once the wind picked up.

So, while the warm air this winter has killed us in terms of wet snow, I would now expect the warmth to prevent this April from being nearly as snowy as last. April 2007's "showers" turned to snow because the cold air was so well-anchored here. I don't think that will happen this year.

WMUR is trying to get the word out that the ski mountains are staying open later this year and hoping people don't put their skis away because its spring. Actually, April has some of the best skiing I've ever had in this state... warm enough so you can ski in lightweight clothing (or even T-shirt) and soft snow.

Snow at Black Cat is now up to 3.1 inches. Radar indicates one final band of snow pushing through here and the back edge is at the CT river. Another band may throw a few flurries at us toward morning but doesn't look like much on the radar screen.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote