View Single Post
Old 05-24-2018, 02:43 AM   #10
ApS

Unhappy Logging Imperiled the Imperial...

I had an arborist look at a pine tree with a series of 2x6 holes in it. My concern was that the tree was aimed at our roof! The arborist was of the opinion that the tree would heal itself, and would not be a danger. (Carpenter ants make up 60% of their diet).

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreast View Post
I believe it's now the largest, unless someone has found an Ivory billed somewhere.
At 22 inches, the Imperial Woodpecker of Mexico would be the largest in North America. Like the Ivory-Billed Woodpecker, it has severely declined in numbers since the 1950s, and is also "likely-extinct".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airedale1 View Post
Lots of the links to many of my bird images are no longer functioning; as they were hosted on PhotoBucket.
I participated in a Photobucket poll, and stated that an annual membership of $20/year would be reasonable (and not their announced $200 plan ). To refresh one's prior Photobucket photographs, I think they've just announced a $19/year plan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airedale1 View Post
Here is one I took of a Pileated in our yard. They are very skittish birds.
On walks along forested roads, you'll see them playing "peek-a-boo" from behind the tree they're perched on.

In Florida, I watched one "working" a rotten branch, which was hanging by a long length of Spanish Moss. Since the big woodpecker had added his weight to the branch, the Spanish Moss slowly parted, and lowered the unsuspecting bird to the ground. I may have seen a rare Red-Faced Woodpecker flying off.