View Single Post
Old 02-16-2011, 08:53 PM   #68
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default in conclusion

Traffic was sparse at the time. I was not passing nor were there cars passing. The weather was sunny and cool. The road was dry. I was driving reasonable and prudent at the time.

I have stock tires and the drive train is stock. I was told stock speedometers can be off by a mph or two. Mine was off by at least 3 mph.

Talked to a buddy of mine who is a captain on the Nashua Police department. As far as contesting the ticket. I was already 9 mph over the speed limit. Since the radar says you are over the sl by 17 mph, it would be tough to contest. It will be a slim chance I could get out of it. If the officer doesn't show up or can not provide a certificate of qualification and or radar does not have a recent certificate. In small towns it is possible, as some small towns have a very small staff and will not contest minor violations in court. There are rare occasions when a small town do not have certified officers or radar. Very rare.
If I was going 64 in a 65 zone. An officer pulls me over going 72. I am going 7 mph over the sl, a sympathetic judge may let me off with a warning. If I keep the preceding business like and not get into arguments etc. Very rarely would an officer pull you over going less then 10 mph over the speed limit if it was reasonable and prudent at the time. It is tough to prove if one is speeding when he is over by less than 5 mph. Radar do not take into consideration traveling around corners and sometimes weather can interfere with the signal. As far as the difference between radar speed and GPS speed, you need all kinds of expert testimonies to contest it. If you do win, then it could be an example for future cases.

I don't have radar detector or jammer. I use to work for a defense electronic firm. The engineers says radar detectors are not quick enough to detect the hand held. The dash mounts are on continuously and can be detected. Some of the engineers created home made jammers that hitch to a radar detector send out a signal at the sign of detection. If the detector is smart enough to detect the frequency so does the jammer. Some LEO says jammers are illegal because FCC regulate transmitters. The jammers and radar detectors operate on a frequency not regulated by the FCC. It is a mute argument.

My argument is what do we need to use in a boat to make sure we are with the law. Boat speedometers known to be inaccurate. According to my experience, one can not rely on a GPS speedometer.