Thread: Alton Circle?
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2011, 12:06 PM   #16
ghfromaltonbay

Default Route 11 Right-of-way

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_boater View Post
The real problem for me is that it is opposite from virtually every other cirlce in the world; Right-of-way goes to the people entering the circle rather than those in the cirlce. It is backwards and dangerous (for poeple do not know it) for that reason.
The problem at the Alton Circle was that the cars entering from Route 11 East or West had the right of way over those entering from Rt. 28 N/S, not those already in the circle as most roundabouts have. Many times when I was headed west on Rt. 11 just past McD's and was bearing left at the CITGO station to continue onto Main St., those coming down Rt. 28S would fail to observe the yield sign (and were doing more than the posted 30 mph). Also, heading east on Rt. 11 just past Dunkin Donuts the traffic again coming down 28 would think they had the right of way since they were already in the circle. Not so, there is another Yield sign there as well across from Aubuchons. I have seen several bad accidents at the circle. Does anyone remember the overturned fuel truck and subsequent power failure on a July Sunday about 15 years ago?
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote