View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013, 06:55 PM   #25
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamiltony View Post
Anyone have any updates on walking out to Bear? My brothers and I are planning to trek out to south Bear next weekend. Our house is more or less directly across the water from Cattle Landing, but I've heard that they have a bubbler around the new dock there, so we'd probably try to get onto the ice a few hundred feet north.
Also, any information about snow depth on the ice/on the islands? I know earlier in the season it was pretty bare, but I'm guessing with the recent storm (and maybe a few more inches before next weekend), it might be pretty deep, and we don't have snow shoes.
I'd second the snowshoes. Temps were near 40 the last 2 days and a lot of melting has been going on. I'm not sure about other areas but all of Paugus Bay looked to be a combination of snow and water with what looked like cracks in the ice and water coming up through. 6-12 inches of heavy wet snow coming and temps again near 40 Thursday and Friday will put even more liquid on top of the ice.
I also noticed that open areas around docks gave gotten huge in the last few days.