View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 04:17 AM   #12
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
Also refereed to as a Pressure Ridge. When ice freezes, it expands and the ice will "Buckle" (Crack) and expand upwards forming a kind of wall. The ice on either side of the wall, which can be over three feet high in some places, will usually have some water along it which will makes it treacherous to walk near. Near the wall, some of the ice will depress downward and water underneath will "Well Up" and "Pond" on top of the ice. At the very least, water on Top of the ice will make it VERY slippery.

Some times you may have to walk parallel along the wall for some distance to find a flat section of ice to cross from one side of the wall to the other. WET Snow near the wall is a danger sign. NB
Here's an ice rift that is formed along the shore near my place. Thing you have to be careful of is that when they form - the ice around them becomes fractured and unstable, and heaves therefore is inherently unsafe. I've seen openings in the ice around them as well so always approach them with due caution. Here are a few pics to show you what I mean...
Attached Images

MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post: