View Single Post
Old 08-12-2009, 10:38 AM   #5
Wolfeboro_Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
I keep hearing about how crazy the lake is this year (I have not really noticed a difference, but I boat almost exclusively on weekdays). I also keep hearing how the lake feels so much safer this year that many people that used to be too frightened to use the lake are finally getting out to enjoy it (I'm not really convinced of this either, but...) In my experience, the lake at it's worst crowd-wise, is still a very mellow place to boat compared to ther places I've boated. If boating on Winnipesuakee prior to the speed limit HONESTLY did scare some people, perhaps those same people lack the skills to boat safely. Can't help but wonder if these formerly frightened people are some of the same Captain Boneheads I keep hearing about. Kinda fits, no?

That said, I'm sure there are plenty of skilled people out there who simply don't care about boating safely. I bet they'd be a large percentage of Captain Boneheads as well.
RE: the bolded text, that thought came to my mind a couple days ago but I wasn't sure I wanted to actually put the words out there for fear of offending someone. Your motorcycle scenario was a great example; when it comes to riding a motorcycle, the mechanics of operating the bike have to become second nature to the operator so they can focus on traffic and their location in regards to the traffic. If the operator has to actually think about what they're going to do next in regards to mechanical operation of the bike, then they're going to be distracted from the road. Great post, Dave R!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Now as for docking..... come on I thought everyone loved to dock????????
Not everyone!!!!!! For me, it depends on the situation. I have a hard time backing out of an inside spot when I have to back between 2 boats tied at the ends of finger docks like you would find at Wolfeboro or Weirs public docks. I usually end up drifting to one side or the other and while I can control the stern by turning the drive, the bow tends to wander on me and I worry about bumping a boat tied to the docks; the last thing I want to do is bump in to someone else's boat and possibly cause damage to their's or my own boat. So far, my solution has been to avoid tying up in an inside spot and it works well for the most part. Some day, I'll have to get some advice from someone who's more proficient at backing in tight quarters. Any volunteers?