Thread: Ice-In 2012-13
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 08:03 PM   #102
Blue Thunder

Default Really??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident 2B View Post
Looking at the weather forecasts and knowing what we need to form the initial skim of ice, it really does not look that good. We need cold temps and no wind to form the initial skim coat of ice. We will have the cold temps the next five days, but we will have more wind than is ideal. Thursday night looks like the best bet for ice to form, but it gets windy again for the weekend.

It looks to me like the snow tonight will be in the 3 to 5 inch range around the lake. It looks like less up north. This snow will cool the surface water which is good. My concern is it will also form an insulating layer over the ice that still holds in the bays, potentially making that ice relatively poor quality the rest of the season.

I wish the news was better, but right now it is not great. Still a lot of winter to come, but we are at the halfway point of meteorological winter, December, January and February, and what we have is not what we usually have.

R2B
Nearly all of the long range guidance is progging tremendous cold beginning next week. Do you (as a fellow weather follower) not see this?

BT