Thread: Bear Island
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012, 10:27 AM   #20
Bear Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
Why are non-residents denied the ability to view the trail map? I would think it would be interesting for everyone to see how this huge island interconnects the onshore and offshore camps.
I created the Bear Island Map from scratch by walking the island with a GPS attached to my hat. And yes, I received funny looks. The GPS unit recorded my exact location every 20 seconds and way-points when I pressed a button. When transferred to computer this data provides the basic elements of a map.

The map contains many elements that are sensitive in nature. It has the exact location of Historic Sites we wish to preserve including an unmarked graveyard. Break ins have occurred in the off season and public access to a detailed map could make that easier.

Additionally the entire island is private property and is only open to residents and their guests. The 911 system, police, fire, utility companies, residents and island contractors have been given access to the map. I will be happy to give a copy to anyone having a legitimate interest, but I do not feel that publishing it on the internet is in the island's best interest.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bear Islander For This Useful Post: