View Single Post
Old 08-26-2010, 08:53 PM   #11
lakewinnie

Default Have to say my piece

I have tried to stay off the reply button on this thread, but after APS's last post, I feel I need to reply.

I am the owner of the boat in question. I requested that the photo be deleted. I was upset that this picture was posted with the accusation that I had violated the 150' rule and was an "idiot". I have been boating on Winnipesaukee for over 20 years and am very familiar with the 150' rule. Violations of this rule, I believe, are pervasive and, in my opinion, the most serious safety issue on the lake, which is why I try my best to keep at least 150' away from other boats (and their water skiers or tubers) when on plane. I support and applaud all efforts to educate unknowing boaters of this rule as well as other boating safety issues.

Over the past month, I have seen numerous violations of the 150' rule, even by boats towing skiers and tubers. I know where this picture was taken and had experienced the violation of the 150' rule by other boats on more than one occasion in this same area. The picture appeared to capture one of those moments - but not with me being the violator of the rule.

APS - you are wrong on a number of points. I know. I was there.

First off, my boat is a bow rider and not a ski or wakeboard boat. My boat begins to throw a noticeable wake at around 1200 RPMs. When on plane, considerable spray emanates from the corners of my transom. Judging from the condition of the water surrounding my boat in the picture, and knowing how I operate my vessel, I estimate that I was running between 600 and 1000 RPMS (my normal headway range).

Secondly, the O.P. states that I was towing someone and that someone on my boat was taping the waterskier. My waterski line attaches to a tow cleat at the top of the transom above the swim platform, and from pictures we have taken, is clearly visible when attached (especially to the tow cleat). There is no tow line attached to my boat in the picture that was posted on this thread. Also, I am the only person in the boat (unless someone was in the bow that day and is blocked from view by the person being towed by the O.P.). However, my observer generally sits in the rear-facing seat behind my passenger seat. And I have never towed anyone without a legal observer in my boat.

I hope this clears things up. I appreciate the fact that other knowledgeable boaters noticed some of the things I just mentioned above.

Oh, and by the way - even though I'm from CT, I have never forgotten the plug on any of the boats I have owned over the years. At times, I have forgotten half of the items that my wife asked me to pick up at the supermarket, but I have never forgotten the plug in the boat!
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to lakewinnie For This Useful Post: