View Single Post
Old 09-15-2020, 10:06 PM   #69
tummyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal-to-NH View Post
I can certainly see the divide better now. I know a little bit of what's going-on and I can say about 80% of the things said here are flat-out incorrect.

I think maybe the best path forward might be informing people better so these falsehoods don't get repeated.

In the end, I do agree with:
* If we compromized on this issue rather than digging-in we could succeed. (Remember this gets a majority "YES" every time it comes up, but the poliarization of the "camps" keeps it from getting the % Majority it needs). If both sides would give a little, this would easily pass.

I think the $5.2M option and the $6.7M option need to be laid-out together and the additional money justified, dollar by dollar - i.e. for $1.5 M more this is what you get specifically. I have asked for this from ardent supporters of the greater money project and no one can tell me what the extra money gets you other than "everything is on one site". I have to believe that there's more to it than that. If that's all it is, then I would guess most people would reject it.

I have heard some good ideas but I don't know if they are practical - What about going for the bigger-money project and selling the Lions club land to make-up the difference of the more expensive route? That's a great idea, but have no idea if that's a valid option.

What's in the extra $1.5M folks - if it's worth it, pople will vote for it! I will be the first in line. Without that, the $5.2M option does everything we need and want, and why not do this one? The great thing about NH is that we decide how to spend our own money like it's coming out of our own checking account. Higher value for higher money-outlay is a good thing - but what is it????
There certainly are lots of numbers out there. Let me attempt to provide some clarity from what I know. In the 2019 Town Meeting, two proposal were quantified...$5.5M for the Lions site and $6.7M for the Taylor. BOTH were for similar facilities with full gyms, etc. etc. Basic building costs were absolutely identical. But the differences were in significant site costs for the Taylor...site cost increased $850,000, $140,000 for an improved entranceway to the site, approximately $80,000 for increased engineering and design costs, and $50,000 for extra contingencies on the Taylor. Bottom line...building on the Taylor was more expensive ($1.2M) for the exact same facility. o what do you get for the extra $1.2M??? A facility very close to the schools. That's it. The numbers are all on the town web site...under "Projects", then Community Center, then 2019 Proposed Community Center, then Cost Estimate 1/30/2019. Check them out yourself...they are side by side. But also remember, these numbers are now two years old and construction / material costs have sen substantial increases due to Covid, etc. My guess is these are the smallest numbers you will ever see for the project and anything in the future will need to be reworked higher....maybe now $7-8M vs. $6.7M. Time will tell !

Or you can think of buying an existing facility and making modest renovations...i.e: the 130 Whittier property. For less than $2.5M (my estimate), you can get everything proposed for the $5.5M or $6.7M, except the facility is not at the schools. So the bottom line is this....how much is it worth to the community at large to build a full facility on the Taylor? And by the way, the 130 Whittier option could be fully operational by year end 2021...and anything on the Taylor or the Lions is many years off. I suspect the $5.5M and $6.7M numbers are now significantly understated, as construction costs are going through the roof with substantial increases in all building materials...just check out lumber prices! But nobody wants to compromise or even consider a full exploration of the 130 Whittier. There is time, but is there any will? Sad..... So situation is still a mess...spend much more money just for location and wait years to occupy, or spend less and move on with a site that is not next to schools.

Hope this helps...and just my opinion for sure.
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote