View Single Post
Old 09-06-2020, 07:26 PM   #21
XCR-700

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinewife View Post
~~~~~~~
We moved to NH and the short list of must haves to our realtor were:
A ranch house or colonial with a bedroom on the 1st floor, within 5 miles from town and a supermarket (Wolfeboro), 3BRs, and 10 acres for my husband to shoot target practice in the back yard. It took us 3 yrs of searching to find it.

We found one with 18 acres in Wolfeboro, but the next door neighbor had a big shooting range and was constantly shooting. That was his right, but I preferred not to be his neighbor.

I was on the internet 2 hours a night minimum, searching, sometimes typing: Is my home in a flood zone when FEMA maps pop up to show you once you add the address- I also didn't want wetlands, so you get the picture, it was a long process. Move in day, on a hot July afternoon, was magnified by 3 bears in our front yard. There's a turkey parade here constantly. Would I prefer no turkeys? Sure, but I can live with it.

Neighbors behind us drive their quad on their yard, whooping and hollering 4 out of 7 nights. Back in my old state, no one had a yard BIG enough to do that. However, if I was a neighbor of a shooting range, I would probably not be thrilled.

The pros of living in NH outweigh the bad, but in the case of the very wealthy Bald Peak man buying land and building a range with permits from the town,
I would hope that he curtails the usage to make things easier for those residents.

We're extremely grateful we moved here. We have met great people, made some great friends, shop and eat out as much as we can locally, donate to our community, and above all, appreciate how great this state is.
GREAT story of working hard to strike a balance and making compromises.

In my 58 years I have only found a few absolute truths; we were all born, we will all die, and life is imperfect at best, oh and pretty much every day I will make one mistake and on an average day several.

Sounds like you folks are probably pretty good neighbors and additions to your community!

ATB
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote