View Single Post
Old 05-19-2022, 09:35 AM   #49
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiej View Post
I’m confused….admittedly, I haven’t been reading following all the details…is the police chief male or female?
I believe the reference is to Gilford police chief Anthony Bean Burpee, so male. Mcdude asks what difference that would make. I guess some jobs have some kind of "morality clause" but I don't know what those standards are. Morality can be hard to determine. In this day and age homosexuality is no longer immoral for more than half of the country (judging from the acceptance of gay marriage both legally and in the public perception). But having a relationship with a pedophile (a criminal) would impugn a public servant. Apparently people who violate morality norms are at risk of blackmail, which impairs their ability to perform their duties. Heterosexual relationships between employees of the same company or agency are sometimes prohibited because they create boundary issues like favoritism and power imbalances. Legally, I don't think it matters whether the Gilford police chief is male or female or gay or straight, but I think a connection to a pedophile would matter a great deal, which may be why he resigned.

Last edited by SailinAway; 05-19-2022 at 12:06 PM.