Thread: Braid your own?
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2013, 08:20 AM   #9
no-engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
My guess is that Par Four is actually 'splicing' the eyes, not 'braiding' becasuse he later mentioned going to a next level and needing a fid. The step up to making eye loops in 'braided' line is a big step from making eye loops in three-strand-twist.

Nylon line will change dimensions based on usage (wet, strain, drying, etc), and I always found that I had good luck using the "rubber snubbers" placed on the lines between the boat and the dock. These tended to absorb the initial shock of the pull on the lines when the waves and winds combined to put a strain on the docking harness.

Being able to splice is one of those skills that once you learn it you actually never forget it. I learned more than 60 years ago, and I boated, hiked, hauled items on a trailer, and made belts all during my life - but, I can't knit.
TOTALLY agree. I learned splicing a loop as a kid in sailing lessons!

I once did so for the dock line for a previous "friend" on Lake; they were never appreciated, because generally many don't understand the value of good splices or knots.

When I browse the displays at the Antique Boat Show, it's frightening to see the miserable methods to tie such boats! Winding + winding around a post is NOT A good knot! Good knots should be easily removed in case of emergency, or a need to remove quickly.
no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote