View Single Post
Old 08-05-2020, 09:05 PM   #24
GusMan

Default Exploring Winnie in a (very) small boat...

Hey Jondx52...

Welcome to Winnie! A fabulously beautiful lake... but one that needs to be respected in a small boat.

I've been a visitor to the lake for more than twenty years... a bass fisherman that spent MANY years exploring in a 16 foot Grumman Aluminum semi-Vee bassboat with a 75hp motor. I've pretty much been to most places on the lake, but you have to choose wisely when you're in a small boat.

For sure .. weekdays are better than weekends... but even then, weather can change conditions in a moment.

If I were day tripping and wanted to explore a bit in a16 ft boat, ... I would never launch from Alton Bay, Wolfboro Bay, or Merideth Bay. Beautiful areas .. nice restaurants.. but the busiest and roughest water on the lake. As others have said, the northeast side of the lake is much quieter. launch from Center Harbor, Harilla Landing, or even Lee's Mills. Get a paper chart (along with your electronics) and take your time. Yes, the markers can be confusing (study the map!!) and when in doubt stop and reassess.

And as has been said before... NEVER! assume that other boats know where they are going...Those big boats could very well be more clueless than you!

Have fun exploring… Be (more than) careful and enjoy.

Oh...and BTW.. the scariest weather/water conditions I ever experienced was on Winnisquam! Bad weather.. huge waves... scary stuff indeed.

Gusman
GusMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GusMan For This Useful Post: