View Single Post
Old 08-26-2018, 05:40 AM   #9
ApS

Question So Much for "Balance"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I think we will see less and less loons as there are more and more eagles. It makes me sad because I love the loons. I know the loons can be vicious too.
The Loons' preference is for clear lakes, where even adult Loons can be "tracked" by Bald Eagles.

As it often happens, I had a Loon pop-up directly in front of my sailboat Friday, who glanced at "danger", and dove immediately. (It didn't take its usual minute "break" to breathe, making it more likely to become a prey victim—although they can fight back).

A Bald Eagle would prefer to hound an Osprey to steal its fish. (Which I have witnessed, although I have yet to see an Osprey this season).

Quote:
In years past, one could hear this [Loon] call with much frequency throughout New England, but now the only place you can go where the loon is not in serious danger is the coasts of Maine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
Nature balances it’s resources naturally. To try and protect “your” loon chick is not only futile, but to some, extreme behavior that might even result in more trauma to the loon. Let nature take it’s course with no interference and enjoy it’s magnificence.
In 1995, the USF&WS removed Bald Eagles from the Endangered List, whereas Loons are not listed.

In Canada, which has many clear lakes, Bald Eagles were also removed—but Loons have made their Endangered List.