View Single Post
Old 01-06-2006, 07:33 PM   #25
ApS

Arrow Corrections, corrections...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Jack
Don't you guys use radar guns to measure your speeds during Poker Races?
They're "not" races. They're not called Poker Races. They're called Poker Runs, like the 2005 SOTW Poker Run that resulted in a double-fatality at 70MPH. (You can buy the videos online at OSO).

Here's an excerpt of a Donzi Registry Poker Run entrant's use of Lake Winnipesaukee... (user name: "Team Jefe" -- used with permission):

Quote:
"...This is the point it became a race for me…..I know…I know…it’s not a race, it’s a fun run where we all stay together as a group and enjoy the lake. Well that’s just fine….as long as I am in the FRONT part of the group..."
The radar events are called "Radar Runs", or "Radar Shootouts" and are often conducted in conjunction with Poker Races -- er, Runs.

This Virginia announcement is typical, occurring a month prior to the Tourillon double-fatalities in VA, described earlier:

Quote:
Rappahannock River Radar Shootout!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When: June 4th Rain Date:June 11th.
Registration: Day of the event 9:00 am to 10:30 am at June Parker Marina Tappahannock, Va. or at the course 9: to 10:30am.
Cost: $ 25.00 per Boat
Where:East of Bouy #42 Between Carter's Warf and Leedstown. Out of the way of normal boat traffic.
**Mandatory Drivers meeting at the start boat prior to start of event**
**Mandatory Operating kill switch. All other USCG regulations. Helmets not mandatory but recomended. Mandatory PFD rated specifically for boat speed. Open exhaust is allowed only traveling to and from the event and on the course.
I understand their are cliffs on either side to help protect the course from winds.

Offical speeds will be recorded by Rappahannock River Boaters Association radar.

Trophies awarded to top performers in each class. Tee shirts and DVD's will be for sale.
So many errors...so little time.