View Single Post
Old 08-30-2018, 08:28 PM   #15
Top-Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeleyhill View Post
........ Just wondering how others feel. I love the sport and I love seafood, it just never appealed to me to catch and keep small mouth/large mouth gamefish for the dinner table. What say you?
Catch and release for everything except Rock Bass. Over the past 35 years fishing the lakes I have only kept a handful of game fish, probably less than 5. When fishing with my sons grandfather years ago he would have liked to keep many more of them but I would only let him keep ones that were mortally wounded. Personally I have zero desire to eat them. Even though I like seafood.

My Son and I pretty much only fish for LM & SM bass, but always try to return what ever we catch back to the lake unharmed when ever possible hoping someone else who really needs or wants that fish will catch it again someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
Sometimes we leave them in the motor well and wait for them to die and then toss them back in, but I will tell you sometimes its well over an hour before they die, that's the problem they are way too resilient, I've had some out of the water well out longer than an hour, thinking they are dead put them back in the water and they swim away, which is why i just slice them up now
Sometimes we leave them in the live well all day with no water and let them die if we don't throw them back (dead) right away. Without a doubt Rock Bass are resilient, have seen on a couple of occasions after a 1 & 1/2 drive home (with no water in the live well) and have fish that are still alive Never been able to do it yet but have always wanted to see if we put an intentionally wounded one back in the water close to an Eagle if they would pick it up.

Kinda surprised no one has mentioned keeping rock bass for garden fertilizer.

Recent Past Event On Lake Sunapee
https://lake-sunapee-living.com/even...fishing-derby/

Last edited by Top-Water; 08-30-2018 at 09:00 PM.
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Top-Water For This Useful Post: