View Single Post
Old 07-06-2020, 10:07 PM   #55
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Cougar View Post
Some people spend a lot of money on privacy and that’s all they want.
Then I think Winnipesaukee was always the wrong place. Other lakes were always much quieter.

My parents went through several lakes in the area before making Winnipesaukee their destination in the late 1950's. And the reason NewFound Lake, Squam Lake, Wentworth and others didnt meet their expectations, not enough going on.

They wanted access to marinas for gas on long all day boating trips (our boats of the 60's and 70's always had those 6 gallon orange/red portable tanks) they wanted destinations (Meredith, Weirs, Wolfboro, Alton) and they wanted to see people on the water having fun. We loved the water ski events, boat races, fireworks by boat (I even remember boating to more than one town to see 2 shows on the same night)

Weekends started with the first spark of the engine and the cloud of smoke and the trip to the marina to fill up the tanks. Then grap the kids, old folks and off to a destination. Some days it would about water sking and the knee boards of the day, or maybe fishing. Water sking would often involve several people behind the boat, something against the law today. Or maybe a boat race up and down Alton Bay, again, unthinkable today.

Winnipesaukee, well at least the south end from Meredith to Wolfboro to Alton, was never a quiet and private place in my lifetime. It was a place to have fun boating and using the lake, but you also always met friendly and respectful people.

You didnt need Sea Tow or any such thing, someone always stopped and if you needed a tow you were taken home, no drama, no wait, and no one ever charged you. It was a pay it forward thing. Just make sure they got home, and be thankful it wasnt you. You actually met nice folks that way!

Wish I could go back in time, it was better for sure, but not quiet or private.

Well thats my memories of Winnipesaukee from my diaper wearing days in 1963 forward.

XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote