View Single Post
Old 09-28-2011, 06:04 AM   #8
Belmont Resident

Thumbs up Great family sport

As mentioned above it can be very addictive and pricey.
Averaging between 3500 and 5000 miles a year for us, is a testament to how addictive it can be.
We are at the point of turning our sleds over for new ones about every 2 years due to the high mileage we ride in northern Maine.
You just can not strive how important the right gear is to the sport. Layers of the proper gear and a properly fitted helmet are the most important. Boots are important but for getting into it if you have a pair of winter boots with good socks you will do fine unless you venture out at or below zero. Gloves are important also and cannot be too tight. You want some room for air to circulate or your hands will be cold. I made that mistake and now wear oversized gloves with liners. Average cost for good gear: Coat $200-400, pants $150-300, boots $50-200, helmet $150-500, gloves $50-150. Prices will vary with quality. I’d say we probably wear about $1200.00 worth of warm weather gear.
I disagree with price of the sled. I got into the sport with a set of old 70’s era Scorpion sleds that got me and my boys to the point driving around Mines Falls in Nashua that we knew it was for us. I then bought newer used, sleds until I met my wife and we became the high mileage riders that we are today.
It is a great way to get out see the outdoors during the winter. We have special sleds for getting into the back country of Maine where you make your own trails and never know what the day will bring for adventure. We carry extra fuel, GPS with extra batteries as well as cell phone and emergency gear.
All this and we drive 4.5 hours EVERY weekend to get there and it’s worth every minute of it.
Good luck and have fun.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Belmont Resident For This Useful Post: