View Single Post
Old 02-23-2021, 08:26 PM   #12
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
msw--you might check the link from LakeTimes on cost--showing a Tesla roof at $2.01/watt (and that includes the roof itself!). If accurate, that would be shockingly low--I paid over $3/watt, just for standard (high end) solar.

Agreed that a standard solar roof is more proven--there are millions of them working trouble-free.

I look forward to LakeTimes's report on actual price quotes
Wait until the real quote comes in.

@FlyingScot how big is your system? is it in NH? Do you get Net Metering? Which Electric Company?

I just put a mock system into Tesla's calculator. 10kW system NH (that's on the small side for NH, that would be huge in Florida)

It came out to $32,797 or $3.29 / watt (before credits).
It came out to $25,379 or $2.53 / watt (after credits).

Still, not terrible considering you get a roof with it. Maybe that article subtracted the cost of the the roof to reach $2.01 / watt

With 2 Power walls

$49,797.00 (before credits)
$37,959.00 (after credits)

Warranty is 25 years on shingles including labor. Good.
10 years on inverter etc. Not so great.

I got 20 years on everything on my system. I paid like $3.00 / watt before credits, 4 years ago.
I also got MA SREC, which essentially made it break even after 6.5 years. After that, it's profitable for 3.5 more years.
It would have been very hard to justify the Solar without that SREC program. With out that break even would have been like 18 years.

Another way to look at it, is to amortize it.
Take that $37,959.00 and amortize it over the life of the system, I like to use 20 years.
That comes to $158.00/mo compare that to your electric bill. But that assumes 10kW (which is typical).

Let's assume the 10kW system produced 10gWh per year (since mine in MA is close to 7.8kW produces 8gWh, my sun exposure is maybe a B+, neighbors tree blocks part of the day)
Let's amortize Solar Only (no power wall, with credits). That comes to $105.00/mo (for 20 years) for the $25,379 system above.
So 10gWh is 833kWh per month. That's $0.126 / kWh. What's NH rate, I think we pay $0.17 / kWh.
It would cost $141.61 for 833kWh with no Solar. So you save $36 / month with Solar.
How many years will it take to cover that $25,379.00 investment? 58 years to break even !!! See why I said without SREC it's hard to justify Solar. Also MA is $0.26 / kWh so bigger savings.

My MA system is 7.8kW and produces roughly 8gWh per year. Further north you go the larger the system you need.
And our house is ALL gas appliance and heat. So it's a small system. Our bill was like $125/mo.

Note also my system had to produce 20% over what I used to cover everything. Because most of what it produces goes into the grid.
And I only get 80% back (at no cost) i.e. Net Metering.

LakeTimes said it's a multiunit with 4 units. I bet it cost on the order of $150K to $200K (if he include the power walls he wanted, min of 4?).
Not sure how they would break it all up if it's all separately metered.
It might basically be 4 installations (most credits might only apply to 1 installation [per year?]). If installed as one system you might hit limit for residential.
There are caps on residential sizes and this might get labeled as commercial. So that might all get complicated what the true costs will be. Commercial might have even better incentives.

PowerWall's really only pay if the electric company does NOT offer Net Metering (storing your excess production on the grid for reasonable cost), basically makes the grid your battery (or power wall). Or PowerWall's are great if you have no Solar and have off peak rates. You charge the Power Wall during the cheapest rate and then use them at the peak rates. For Solar with Net Metering (at a good rate) they will never pay for themselves. Unless there are special incentives. There are in some incentives in MA (like SRECS).

Last edited by mswlogo; 02-23-2021 at 09:09 PM.
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote