View Single Post
Old 10-17-2006, 10:02 PM   #9
John A. Birdsall

Default weinterizing outboards

I am willing to bet even though charged the marinas do not do anything to outboards for winterizing them. And I have not done anything either. Last year I took the 115 hp Evinrude off the boat and put it in the back of the truck, It stayed their all winter. Several said it will never start again. I had the easiest restart I ever had. however, that being said I recall we sprayed 30 weight oil into each cylinder of the 18 hp motor after it had been run out of gas. That worked for years without any problems.

I say that about the marina's because the less they do its the easiest and I think they take advantage of the customers. If you want this done. I suggest that you do it yourself. and it should not take that much time. Just prior to pulling the boat out of water run the gas out of it. when your out a spark plug wrench, a squirt bottle of 30 weight oil and hit each cylinder. Turn the motor over without the plugs in it. put the plugs in finger tight and do not tighten them. In the spring. take the plugs chuck them, put new ones in but squirt some good gas in first don't forget to put the wires back on. Yes in the fall or pull out check the lower unit oil.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote