View Single Post
Old 10-21-2010, 12:21 PM   #18
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
I have a Merc 4.3L V6

When foggining my engine for winter storage......

How much fogging oil should be used. I understsand this is sprayed directly into the Carb.

Never fogged engine myself before, but have watched mechanic. Seems like he only sprayed into Carb until it stalled.

Can you apply too much fogging oil ?

Thanks for your feedback.

Bigdog
My opinion is that you can indeed over fog an engine, and that in most cases it happens quite often. The run it until it stalls attitude is a old and ingrained one. However unless you know positively that the fogging oil is going into all cylinders at the same rate one can get more then the others. You also run the risk of fouling the plugs, and often people do and then cause more damage in the spring when they try and get the boat started. If you prefer the more is better attitude my suggestion is spray some into the carbs, once the engine begins to suffer and run rough stop and kill the engine yourself... Then you can pull the plugs and spray a little more in the cylinders.

To much oil down the carb and into the intake, can cause excess build up. Then you have to run that build up through the engine in the spring... If you don't mind changing plugs every year then don't worry about it. But if you want to keep maintenance costs down, play it a little conservative....

Most people have to change their plugs more then necessary because of over fogging... It take and incredible amount of time to get that crap burnt off and out of the system when you over due it.....