View Single Post
Old 08-31-2022, 04:52 AM   #8
ApS

Question To Filter or Not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
All summer I have had neighbors telling me there is cyanobacteria around Bear Island. One neighbor told me she witnessed cyanobacteria around my dock.

I keep going to the NHDES website on cyanobacteria and find no notices for Winni at all.

I just looked for the DES message about Winni mentioned in the last post. I can't find it.

The seems to be a disconnect here. Am I looking in the wrong place? Are we talking about different kinds of cyanobacteria?
Your neighbor may be referring to the precursor to cyanobacteria "poisonous blue-green algae blooms", which are the gloeotrichia. Those are the tiny gray dots that come within easy view of the surface on warm and windless days In late summer.

As a sailor, I have many hours on Lake Winnipesaukee on warm, windless, days in late summer. I can tell you gloeotrichia are easy to see and they're all over the lake.

At night, their natural buoyancy mechanism allows them to sink to deeper waters where they recharge their energy on Phosphorus.

Nobody's come right out and said it (yet) but all that Phosphorus has a common origin.
One Maine organization is collecting gloeotrichia data by means of a smart-phone app:

https://www.raymondmaine.org/content/gloeotrichia
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post: