View Single Post
Old 07-20-2010, 07:37 AM   #53
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipesaukee View Post
I spoke to Jeff Thurston and he told me that they had a fantastic week (that hot, 95+ degree week) and sold all but one Cobalt they had in stock. He seemed quite happy.

He explained it to me in depth, but I didn't catch all of it. I guess Cobalt can't produce enough boats to keep up with demand because they're having trouble getting enough raw materials.

And they prioritize their orders based on who they're for. If a dealer has a customer order a boat, they get placed in the front of the line, but if Thurston's just wanted to order boats to put on the floor, Cobalt would build and deliver "when they get to it."
Manufacturers have gone through a real pounding. They now have to gear up for the 2011 model year, and generate enough boats to fill dealer demand for this summer/fall, not usually a great selling season. Cobalt never produced that many boats to begin with, not a high volume maker. Most makers have backlog dealer demand, and they like it that way. It keeps prices high, payrolls steady, overhead low, and keeps good dealers in business.

Thurstons already went through their 2010 blowout, and have to gauge for this coming boat show season. So think of a line that would fit that particular dealer.
The Following User Says Thank You to VtSteve For This Useful Post: