Thread: Moose?????????
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2007, 05:17 PM   #44
moose tracks

Location: Loudon, Tennessee, foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains
Default Got Moose?

I have stopped looking for moose tracks! Now I am going to use my sense of smell to find moose in the Lakes Region.
Researchers in Norway are now saying their moose population is contributing to global warming. They claim that a grown moose can produce 2,100 kilos of carbon dioxide a year through their belching and farting. This is equivalent to the CO2 output resulting from a 13,000-kilometer (8,078 mile) car trip. Bacteria in a moose’s stomach create methane gas, which is considered even more destructive to the environment than carbon dioxide gas. Norway estimated their moose population at 120,000 animals. The combined population of moose in NH, Vermont & Maine was estimated at a little over 40,000 animals. (By the way, cows and cattle also make a similar contribution to global warming in the same manor as moose.)
OK, - I hope you all got a chuckle out of this post. However, I am still interested in moose sightings in our Lakes Region. Who saw a swamp mule this year in the lakes region?