Thread: boat accident
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2017, 06:11 PM   #2
ApS

Exclamation Boston Whaler: Formerly Safe...

The Boston Globe usually won't permit me to read the article, but it did this time.

Quote:
"Two people sustained minor injuries Sunday after they were thrown from a boat on Lake Winnipesaukee, officials said.

"Around 6 p.m., the New Hampshire State Police Marine Patrol responded to a report of a boating accident in Wolfeboro, N.H. The operator of the 13-foot Boston Whaler, Stephen Young, 64, of Cumberland R.I., treaded water for “several minutes” after being thrown from the boat while trying to find his passenger, a 7-year-old boy who was wearing a life vest. Unable to find the boy in choppy waters, Young swam to shore for help. He was later taken to the hospital.​

"Police found the boy on shore around 6:30 p.m., officials said. He had “spent significant time in the water” before making it to land, the Marine Patrol said."
I received an email at 6-PM saying:

Quote:
"We just had a news report of a boating accident off Thomas Point, Tuftonboro Neck, at the entrance to Winter Harbor last night, in fog after dark. Two people were thrown from the boat wearing life jackets, got separated, then eventually rescued, and the boat went around and around until it run out of gas."
I'm pretty sure I've seen this boat making runs between some like-minded kids and the Marriott Compound. It's 7:12-PM now on Lake Winnipesaukee, and there's plenty of light. I don't understand how such a busy location could miss such an ejection—especially on Labor Day Weekend.

I got off the water early today, 'cause the extended weekend started getting crazy—with violations everywhere—including our resident Chase scofflaw who raced his Donzi through the Libby Museum area at his usual weekend-top-speed.

It looks like I have to remove my recommendation of the Boston Whaler as a safe boat for Lake Winnipesaukee.