View Single Post
Old 06-17-2010, 10:40 AM   #6
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Merge View Post
Should non resident tax payers get to vote in the March town elections? These are the elections where towns vote on Zoning Ordinances, election of local officials and tax and budget issues.
I will not vote in this poll, as this is not a yes or no question. I am a non-resident taxpayer, and I find this a very prudent issue. There are times where I believe yes I should have a right. However a majority of the time, I don't believe I do.

When it comes to services in the town that I use, such as the Police, Fire, DPW, Town Hall, Parks and Rec. and how they Spend their Money yes do I believe I should have some input yes. However even in these case I don't use some of the resources 100% as I don't visit the area year around so why should my vote carry the same weight as someone that lives in town all year.

However When it comes to services such as the schools, no I really shouldn't have a say.. Why because no matter what I would have a jaded view, as this is a service I don't use. It wouldn't matter to me whether or not the town had to layoff teachers, or couldn't by new books...

In short the bottom line is this, as unfair as people think it is, This is how our country has defined voting laws for every year. I don't know of any place you can go and vote just because you pay taxes. You are allowed to vote because of residency. And that folks is the bottom line. To have a second home and to pay taxes in a non-residency situation, isn't a requirement it is a choice. A choice you made of free will, and based upon full knowledge of what you where getting into. Don't go and get all upset about it now, because your town has done things and raised your taxes, or will not respond to your issue the way you want them too, because your not a voting citizen of the town.

As a tax-payer by the way, you do have some rights in every town... It is up to you to find out what those rights are.

Don't try and change a historical way of doing something just because you don't think it is fair, and your agenda isn't being met.