View Single Post
Old 06-06-2011, 06:07 AM   #23
ApS

Smile Feeling Good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Hopper View Post
We do away with temporary certificates and certify paddlers that they are capable of paddling their crafts safely!
1) Certification has little to do with common sense, and may build over-confidence on the water. We've seen the disappointment with mandatory licensure, where nobody fails the test.

2) There are very few boats with the sign, "Rental Boat". Am I the only person here who has ever rented a boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
APS, what is the harm in getting your vessel checked for safety?
There is none and it makes everyone involved "feel good". It's nice that you have the time to schmooze —and maybe—impress lesser boaters than yourselves.

Quote:
APS, why are you so against an organization whose first name is "SAFE" promote safe behavior on NH waterways?
1) Because you could teach each boater one knot: especially one extremely valuable knot that could keep their boats secure in towing situations, as well as preventing a boat from drifting away into the night—or having their boats re-tied at public docks during the day.

I haven't seen that seamanship-knowledge displayed here by SBONH.anywhere.

2) I haven't seen SBONH "promote" anything but themselves—much less...behavior of others.

Quote:
APS, why can't you just say that yes, it would be a good idea for EVERYONE to get their vessel checked for safety, regardless of type of watercraft?
Inspections depend on the competency of the inspector. Is being a member of SBONH sufficient training to know what you are doing?