Thread: Gas Furnace
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2023, 10:28 AM   #4
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
Is Foley really a small shop?
I thought they had several techs.
I didn't say Foley was small. Honestly I wouldn't know how to quantify small, I think that is a subjective measure, small to one person may be large to someone else. My point was to try to find an installer with a good reputation as there are many sub-par installers out there and some frankly that are dishonest in my opinion, doing things and charging prices that are extreme. Caveat emptor.

From his last post, it seems that Bigdog already has a high-efficiency furnace, with leds and circuit boards. For what it's worth, I agree with The Professor that lower tech is more desirable and less troublesome than higher tech. Unfortunately since Bigdog isn't using a chimney now lower efficiency/ lower tech is probably not in the cards.

The question I ask someone installing any HVAC equipment is: Will a repairman have replacement parts in his truck for this unit? And if not, will the parts be available at his distributor? It's an important question, there have been people in the peak of heating season waiting weeks for a special circuit board or sensor for their expensive super-efficient system. Worse yet I've heard of companies that stop supporting their product after 10 years leaving that specialty circuit board unavailable. Fortunately there are companies that will repair the circuit board, but it takes weeks.

For me I want standard controls that are available everywhere, along with standard or widely avialable motors, gas valves, whatever so I can be back up and running quickly. I will sacrifice a few percent of efficiency for that.

But to each their own.
ITD is online now   Reply With Quote