View Single Post
Old 03-10-2006, 08:32 AM   #95
Woodsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second
Hmmm. Is that the "Littlefield Defense", or the "Marine Patrol Defense"?

I'm wondering just how responsive a media is to "injury-accidents". (In a state dependant on out-of-staters). A kayaker was run over in the Moultonbourough area of Winnipesaukee in 2003. He was airlifted to Dartmouth/Hitchcock Hospital with "broken bones". I heard about it on WRKO-Boston, but heard nothing locally and no follow-ups at any media.

The word "collision" appears 19 times in this thread...and a videotaped collision has nothing to do with 45/25?

Videotaping "close-calls" is nothing—finding a video of an actual crash is another. I think it's instructive.

At what speed was the impact? ("Accurate estimate" not required.)
APS...

I cannot find ANY record of a kayaker being run over by a powerboat on Lake Winnipesaukee. You may have thought you heard it on WRKO, but given that we cannot find anything about it I think you were misinformed. Certainly a traumatic accident with major injury such as that would be filed somewhere! We can still find references to the Hartman/Littlefield accident and that happened in 2003. If a kayaker had been run over on Lake Winnipesaukee, given the veracity of the fight over HB-162, I am sure someone from WinnFabs would have brought up this accident as loudly as they brought up Hartman/Littlefield.

As fas as the the video you posted, I agree with you, it is VERY instructive. It shows what happens when someone does not pay attention and does not follow the rules of navigation or COLREGS. It has nothing to do with a speed limit as neither boat appeared to capable of traveling over 45 MPH. Weather wasn't an issue as it was a bright sunny day with excellent visibility. The primary cause of this collision would be operator inattention on the part of USCG boat. When he realized a collision was immenent, he violated the COLREGS by not chopping his throttle and/or throwing the boat into an emergency reverse or stop. He was also required to turn to starboard, not port as he did in the video. The USCG boat violated the COLREGS and caused a collision. Plain and simple!

Woodsy