View Single Post
Old 03-09-2006, 09:49 AM   #84
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar
You really have no clue do you? A sea kayak is the safest type of paddle boat for use on large bodies of water.

I have no fear of Winni - I'm afraid of the people who feel the need to go fast, at the expense of other boaters.
Spoken from the vast knowledge gained by spending a couple hours lifetime total on Lake Winnipesaukee.

Quote:
You're actually suggesting that I give up my preferred type of boating, just so you guys can continue to go as fast as you want?!!! And you complain that a speed limit would infringe on your boating rights? Give me a break!

If I wanted to sail, I would buy a sailboat! Then there's the little problem that hi-speed powerboats also run into sailboats. So how would I be any safer?
I have a sailboat, I've spent tons more time than you on Lake Winnipesaukee in my sailboat alone. I've never felt threatened by large GFBL boats in my sailboat or any of my other boats for that matter. I have felt threatened by several captains in their pontoon boats and runabouts who were either not paying attention or wanted for some reason to get close to the sailboat. One guy was tooling along reading the newspaper. A blast from a canned air horn quickly solved each problem. (By the way, it's not real convenient to carry a canned air horn in a small sail boat either, but your foolish if you venture more than a few hundred feet off shore without one.)

You've decided there is a big problem on Lake Winnipesaukee when in reality and statistically there isn't.

Quote:

The obvious solution is to have you guys slow down, which is exactly what HB-162 is for.

Anyone who thinks that a little flag is going to keep kayakers safe from being run over should watch APS's video link: http://www.m90.org/index.php?id=11568

How much of a chance would any kayaker have if they had been in the path of that speeding boat?
Well, if you were paying attention, unlike the guy who got hit, your chances would have been pretty good in that situation. If however you are in a situation like that and not paying attention you would be in a world of hurt. The person driving that CG boat should not be allowed to drive another CG boat, ever.

Now you called that boat a "speeding boat" which from reading your other posts is not a boat "speeding" at "high speed". From what I can tell from your other posts a "speeding" boat is not exceeding the proposed 45 mph speed limit, whereas a boat "speeding" at "high speed" does exceed the proposed 45 mph speed limit, now these are your words from your posts.
Furthermore, most in that thread pretty much agreed that probably neither boat was capable of traveling over 45 mph, hence the accident happened at a speed of less than 45 mph.

So why is it relevant in a speed limit discussion, other than to prove, yes, accidents do happen, and yes, the cause of this accident was not speeding but operator inattention. Just one more case of your evidence and statistics not proving your point.