View Single Post
Old 03-08-2006, 11:16 AM   #78
Woodsy

Actually Evenstar you are flat wrong on this. You cannot tell the approaching speed of a boat heading straight towards you on a Zero (0) bearing. Nodody can! Your only reference to boat speed would be the noise the boat is making.

The distance you are able to see within a 360 degree arc is also limited by the height of your head above the water and wave action. The higher your head above the surface of the water, the greater distance you can see. If your head is only 3' above the waters surface while kayaking and you are playing in 2' waves, your 360 degree visibility is extremely limited. On my boat, while standing in the bolsters, my head is approximately 10' above the surface of the water, allowing for much greater range of visibility. I think you can see concord from the bridge of some of those big cruisers!

A small flag similar to that of one used on a childs bicycle will not make your craft unstable. It will allow for much greater visibility, and the more visible you are, the safer you will be, regardless of boat speed.

I do agree with you that paddles are the most easily seen because they are in motion. The human eye is very sensitive to motion. Thats why a small (emphasis on small) triangular flag bobbing back & forth on a whip will greatly aid in visibility.

Your chances of getting run over while playing in the Broads are nil. Too much room and plenty of visibility. Your chances of getting run over in the Weirs increases exponentially as the number of boats increases and they are confined to a small area. You won't get run over by a boat going faster than 45 MPH in the Weirs... its just too congested.

Woodsy