View Single Post
Old 03-06-2006, 09:04 AM   #72
Woodsy

Evenstar...

My comment as to your kayak being the GFBL of kayaks was in reference to the statement you made about sea kayaks being a high performance version (longer, & faster & generally more seaworthy) than a regular kayak. It wasn't meant to be a slam in any way. Sorry if you didn't get it.

What most people seem to forget when discussing speed on the water is VISIBILITY. In most instances on Lake Winnipesaukee visibility is 360 degrees and measured in MILES! Not hundreds of feet. A prime example is that you can see FL4 from FL3. The distance between the two is approximately 2.25 miles. A boat traveling at 45 MPH is covering 66 FPS. A boat traveling at 70MPH is covering 103 FPS. Its only traveling 37 FPS faster than a boat traveling 45 MPH. When you can see objects 1+ miles away, there is plenty of time to correct your course to avoid a collision.

Your other point, as to the 222 boating accidents on Lake Winnipesaukee over a 4 year period needs some clarification. Given the amount of people who are using the Lake, 222 accidents over a 4 year period is pretty low. Especially when you consider how many of the 222 accidents were related to excessive speed.... 35! So in 4 years of data collection, thousands and thousands of boats using Lake Winnipesaukee and the accident rate for excessive speed is 35! I wonder how many of those 35 accidents were at speeds over 45MPH during the day or 25MPH at night? I would also like to know how many were collisions with other boats or watercraft?

If Fear is the issue, and you fear getting run over by a boat, the statistic I would be most concerned with is collisions. Where are the collision accident stats for Lake Winnipesaukee or NH that justify that fear?

I really don't think an airhorn is all that attention grabbing... but for some strange reason a couple of short sharp blast on a police whislte seems to quickly gather a persons attention!

Woodsy