View Single Post
Old 02-26-2006, 06:53 AM   #56
RegalStan2450

About the poll results. When HB 162 was first brought up I too thought it was a good idea. A speed limit should make things safer right? If I was polled then I would have answered yes to HB 162.
I then started reading and slowly realized this bill puts too many restriction out there with very little results. I just don't believe it is about safety anymore. Poll 600 people in NH with boating certificates instead. The people polled should be educated boaters or I would call it a bogus poll.

My wife has been listening to me talk about this. Yesterday she finally said "Maybe the speed limit will make the lake safer hun".

I got on my soap box First I asked"We have been boating for over 10 years. Have we ever had an incident with a fast boat?" Her answer"no". "Have we ever had an experience with a uneducated boater?" Her answer "yes several times" . With one very close call.

Finally I asked" Do you think a educated boater with a fast boat should be limited to 45 mph on a huge empty lake during the middle of the week?" "of course not" she said. I told her that this law would make that happen. She felt that was totally wrong and why can't they just have a weekend and holiday speed limit , like alot of NH lakes do.

She realized this was an incredible infringement on our NH liberties even though our boat barely goes 50mph.

I would even agree with a weekend speed limit because that is a compromise at least(and I only go boating on weekends).It seems there is no compromise though, If the proponents really want safer lakes they should push for stricter boater education IMO. Again this bill does nothing for safety on our lakes IMO.