View Single Post
Old 02-07-2014, 08:22 PM   #3
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alton Lady View Post
I expect some criticism for this post, as I am considered by most to be a "newbie". I am interested in knowing why so many senior members attack new members who post a strong opinion or negative statement.

It is possible that many of the new members have been viewing the forum for some time, only to register when they want to be heard on a subject. Not every new member has an ax to grind, nor are they promoting their own agenda. They may simply have knowledge or information that they truly feel would benefit others.

I was interested in the post regarding how big of a boat would Winni support, as over the years I have seen boats get bigger and bigger. I saw many members making nasty comments to the original poster, accusing them of being a troll, being ostentatious, stupid, etc. Why are these statements allowed if made by senior members, yet an opinion from a junior member are questioned?

I was accused of having my own agenda, even of being affiliated with the owners of Lavinias, simply because I pointed out the mean spirited comments and actions of a competitor. I made my comments because business people like the one in question really anger me. I have been on the receiving end of nasty comments from a competitor who was ill equipped to compete on their strengths. And I made my comments because those practices do nothing to enrich the forums we look to for information.

Being a newbie does not make my opinion of less value than someone who has posted 1000 times. Just because you do not agree with me doesn't mean I am wrong.

Just a little food for thought.
Alton Lady:

Think of it this way: When you join a new group, neighborhood, company, etc. in the real world do you tend to immediately stake out controversial or strong positions? I suspect not. Typically most of us gradually develop relationships with fellow group members and slowly we earn the credibility necessary from our peers to support our positions. Thus, on the forum instantly staking out a controversial position is often met with skepticism and sometimes hostility unless the position is very well supported. Maybe such a response is not justified but I believe it is human nature. Think of it from this perspective and I believe it will make sense to yo: Wouldn't a harsh response usually be thrust upon a new employee who immediately stakes out an extreme position shortly after joining a company. This person would likely be viewed as controversial, difficult, a trouble maker, etc. Does that make sense? The forum is no different.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post: