Thread: NH Taxes
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2019, 09:15 AM   #39
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by iw8surf View Post
I think mental health and the outrageous amount of people prescribed anti psychotic medication is one of the biggest drivers. You quoted 22,938 people committed suicide by using a fire arm in 2016.

Sadly this is only 50% of the total people who committed suicide by any means in 2016. So if any other attempts that were not successful were added to that list it would show a larger finger pointed at general mental unwellness than a "gun" problem. A gun is just a tool used to achieve a result, unfortunately this result is ending their life, whether they use a gun, knife, pills or any other means what the underlying reason is for that action is what needs to be addressed. Not eliminating the tool. Would completely eliminating any of the top 5 ways people do it help, sure but is that the right way to address the overall problem? I don't know.

The gun debate is definitely one that warrants discussion in our society. But I think we overlook mental health because we are in no position to offer proper mental support in our health care system and it is much easier to blame an object or availability.
I don't disagree with you. I just think we are remiss if we don't include in the discussion the increased successful rates of suicide by guns. And yes, we need to get serious about mental health and devote meaningful resources. Central to all is the willingness to hold constructive debate, something we are doing less and less of in these polarizing times.
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote