Thread: Sump pump life
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2019, 11:55 AM   #3
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
A question for those more experienced in plumbing, drainage, etc:

Let's say I have a sump pump in my basement that activates in heavy rain or periods of snow melt. It works beautifully. But if I live in the same place for decades, it's almost sure to fail at some point, isn't it? And the failure is most likely to come when it's needed most, right? So 5, 10, or 15 years from now, I am likely to have a broken sump pump, and water rising faster than a new pump is likely to arrive? And even if I buy a pump and put it in the closet for a rainy day, how does an amateur install a pump, when the water has already risen, without getting electrocuted?

Have others contemplated this? What's your plan?

Thanks
About the only thing you can do is have the backup sump pump on hand.
Get a good extension cord and don’t worry about hardwiring it in (if the old one is hardwired) until things calm down. Plop the new one in the old ones place and plug it in. If you’re worried about not being at the residence in question, (summer home) hire a person to check the pump at risky times when you aren’t there. Either that or buy one from a reputable plumber or whomever installs them and create a contract with him/her to replace it on call.
Personally, I don’t have water problems but if I did, I would simply buy a backup pump and install it myself when needed.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post: